Thursday, July 16, 2009

I still get chills when I see E climbing a tree. I remember as a kid feeling that power as your scramble up gripping one branch after another as you hoist yourself up and up and up. The ground fading as you enter the world of leaves and small hidden things tucked into corners.

Sometimes he'll call for help but if I approach he'll say no I can do it. So I've learned to watch and just tell him "you're ok, just put your foot there."

Each week he seems to get a little higher and a little higher. I can still reach him now but it's tough giving him that space to explore while my own instincts tell me to PROTECT PROTECT! I know it's only a matter of time before he's too high and then out of sight entering the world of closed doors and private phone calls. For now, I'll take every Daddy I need you and hold it close.

1 comment:

Bacchus said...

This made me tear up. We're starting to see independence from Little Man. I wish they didn't grow into that so fast. I miss the days of cuddles.