Monday, February 02, 2009

Let them eat early boy

I now know why parents of toddlers always seem so frazzled. It's those innocent looking kids. They drive you insane. You find yourself acting in certifiably crazy ways. Ways that as a childless person you would have tut-tutted over in a crowded restaurant.

On my Insane Bunny Diet, I'm restricted to the number of things that I can eat. I follow the IBD rules and everybody is happy, but.... I cherish my food. I'll probably need to reevaluate this relationship at some point. I've taken to eating just my salad with E and saving my entree for after he goes to bed. You see he always asks for whatever I'm eating. Normally we'd be eating the same things but since he has the metabolism of a hummingbird I have to cut waaaay back.

So I try to guesstimate how much and which foods he's going to ask for. After a particularly bad day with much stress I found myself yelling about a cherry tomato. "No, it's my tomato! Stop asking me for every tomato! Eat your spaghetti!"

Rational self says "It's just one tomato. Give it to him."

Hungry self over-rules. "No, he's always taking my food. Let him make his own damn dinner. It's bad enough I have to cook all this food I can't eat."



His garden this summer is going to be filled with a certain plant....

4 comments:

Yondalla said...

Laughing...

When Andrew was a toddler we got lobster (in Maine). I said we shouldn't get one for him since he didn't really eat much anyway.

You know the rest.

TigerYogiji said...

Our friend's kids are the same way... :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Funny post. :)

I make this pizza every now and then - spinach, olives, mozzarella cheese, mushrooms and turkey sausage. I LOVE the turkey sausage and tend to put a lot on the pizza. Invariably, Mr. T ignores most of his pizza slice's toppings (though he does have an odd affinity for olives sometimes) except for the turkey sausage. Once he has obliterated his own supply, he starts scouting our plates for more.

I don't like giving up my turkey sausage. Love or no love.