Friday, June 30, 2006

The 2000 Census lists my hometown in Kentucky as having 2,049 people. This is no doubt a surge in population brought about by the opening of the Burger Queen, roller rink and movie theater (that is singular, no fancy multiplexes for us). Last time I was home I noticed the theater had been turned into a church and the Burger Queen was a Dairy Queen.

Burger Queen’s mascot was this large Queen Bee that I always liked. I never gave much thought to the Burger / Bee connection and apparently no one else did either. There is no room in the burger world for so much royalty though and Burger Queen was taken over by Druther’s (slogan, I’d ruther have a Druther’s. Painful isn’t it?)


Actual photo of downtown:




Our favorite atraction though was the local ice cream parlor Scoopy-Doo. It came complete with crudely drawn, trademark infringing Scooby, Shaggy, Velma and Daphne. There was no Fred for some reason. Perhaps he recognized the poor skills of the artist and bowed out.

We had no national chains. This wasn’t out of any civic pride, the town council would have jumped on any development. No, the national chains couldn’t be bothered with such scraps. We had to drive a good hour to reach Fort Knox and Elizabethtown (yes the same city as featured in the movie of the same name).


I want to take my family back to visit. I’m thinking it will be a quick trip. One place we’ll be stop by for is by the Scoopy-Doo. (It’s still there! I just checked) I wonder if Fred has appeared yet

11 comments:

Moncrief Speaks said...

I can't believe Kentucky is one of the few states I haven't visiited. I want to go someday.

Maybe Saucy Love can show me around big-city Kentucky.

Moncrief Speaks said...

Saucy Love

Daddy Cool said...

I have taken L through Louisville once. It was on the way to a family funeral so it wasn't like the best of times. I gave him a little sampler of hospitality.

SL stopped by once. I have him marked for future visits. Have a nice vacation Saucy Love!

Minge said...

Burger Queen? You're serious, aren't you!?!? I thought it was a joke, thought you were ripping in to Burger King!

Lordy!

Daddy Cool said...

Totally serious. Herewith is my proof:

Burger Queen is a defunct restaurant chain that was based in Louisville, KY from the 60s through the 80s. Their mascot was a giant female bee named Queen Bee. In addition to typical burger fair, they also featured fried chicken. Around the late 70s, early 80s, the chain changed to Druthers restaurants, although the changes were mostly cosmetic. These restaurants were converted to the Dairy Queen chain in the late 80s/early 90s. The first Burger Queen was built in Middletown, KY and still stands today at 11806 Shelbyville Road. The last operating Druther's (as of December 2005) is at 101 North Columbia Avenue in Campbellesville, Kentucky. Queen Bee is still on their sign.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_Queen"

Moncrief Speaks said...

America is filled with all kinds of wonder, Minge.

Minge said...

America is fabulous.

Daddy Cool said...

It has its moments. Nowadays, it's a bit scary.

Minge said...

The scary bits as well as the wonderful bits are what makes it fabulous.

Still, it would be even more fabulous if a Democrat were President!

Ms Clinton, anyone!?

Daddy Cool said...

I don't think she has a chance. She provokes a bizarre rabid state amongst the conservatives. It's quite nonsensical.

Minge said...

They're scared of her. That's good!