Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Ho, Ho... Ho?

I don't know why it didn't occur to me before but as we raced through the mall to finish up our shopping we came across the elaborate Christmas Land display in the intersection of the corridors. I hate malls and I hate all the faux holiday cheer. Oh yes Macy's I'm sure you're wishing me a Merry Christmas from your truly altruistic nature.... and yet... The big tacky showy Santa spectacles fill my heart with joy. It's so disjointed, like coming across a Hawaiian Luau in the middle of parking lot.

The songs were playing the fake snow was flying through the air and there sits Santa. This was a good Santa too. The beard and the belly was real and he had just the right touch of joviality. The looping tape wished us Happy Holidays in a variety of accents. Little dioramas showed us Christmas scenes across the world. Look the little pagoda has xmas lights strung across its pointy roof.

As we approach Santa I prepare to give my speech, "It's OK E I'll be right here for you. Santa just wants to find out what you want for Christmas," I rehearse. I let go of E's hand and he runs up to Santa. Uuuuh. OK he's lifting him onto his lap, here comes the breakdown.... and nothing. Santa looks at me, "Daddy you need to back up behind the camera."

"Uuuuh Ok, I was just you know, he's uh. OK. I'll be back here."
The elf has already whispered his name to Santa so he cuts right to the chase. "So, E what would you like for Christmas?"

E looks at him and with complete confidence states, "I had eggs and toast for breakfast."

whew, he still needs me. This year's list will be easy to take care of.

7 comments:

Sooo-this-is-me said...

Hahaha! That was cute! You just never know how they will react to Santa.

Steven

David said...

that's sweet

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daddy Cool said...

soooome, I know. It was hysterical.

Hi d., nice to meet you.

Be Inspired Always said...

How cute is that. I'm new to your blog, so I'm catching up on your writing.


Jillian

Daddy Cool said...

hello, hello and welcome!

TigerYogiji said...

Too cute!! :)